Monday 27 August 2012

Co-Rider to Rider, Do I or Don't I?


Thinking about making the move from the back seat to the front; or more appropriately, moving to a rider from a co-rider? It’s not an easy decision to make. It took me 7 years and 100,000 miles to make the move myself.  After riding my own 4 years now, including a trip from coast to coast and talking to women all over the country I thought I would share some of my thoughts on the subject.  

My First Long Ride - 2009
There is a lot to be said for being on the back and not worrying about the operation of the machine. But there is even more to be said for riding your own machine and handling it like a pro, or like some I’ve heard say “just like him.”

I have had lots of women tell me that they like riding on the back, but are wondering what it would be like to ride their own.  The first comment is usually, “but they’re so heavy.”  Well that may be true, but there are ways of handling the bike that make it seem almost weightless.  Besides, you’ll learn ways to manage the weight.  And just for the record, any bike, small or big is very heavy when it’s on it’s side.

My suggestion to those of you thinking about making the move, and frankly even if you aren’t and enjoy being on the back, get your learner’s license and take a course. Then you can make a qualified decision about whether you want to make the move or not.  If you decide you like where you are, there’s nothing wrong with that.  The time won’t be wasted, I guarantee it.  By taking a course you’ll have a much better understanding of what your rider is going through, why he does what he does, why the bike does what it does, and why some things just have to be done for the bike to remain upright. On the rare occasion that I do co-ride, I feel that I have a much better understanding now, making the ride more pleasurable for both of us.

For those of you who chose to remain the co-rider, have fun, enjoy the ride. I would like to suggest you to read my blog:  Co-Rider - No Longer Just the Passenger

Back in the Day, Co-Rider
If you do take the plunge, take a course and then decide in the future that you do want to ride your own, you’re half way there.  I wouldn’t suggest just hopping on a bike if it’s been awhile since you took your course.  Take a refresher course for your own safety and the safety of others sharing the road with you, like me.  You may even find you learn something new.

Ride On, Ride Safe…

No comments:

Post a Comment